Anyone ever used calpop.com?

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Sat Apr 6 16:51:48 UTC 2002

>> Has anyone ever had any experiences with calpop.com for
>> colocation services?

Are they Savvis, or just pretending to be Savvis:

http://www.calpop.com/network.html

I like it where they say

 CalPOP's Network has been rated the #1 rated backbone in the world --

and

a) the contact for calpop.com is someone at hotmail.com
b) both calpop.com nameservers are on the same /24, likely
   plugged into the same switch and same power supply
c) both calpop.com nameservers report only one NS record,
   which is a third machine sharing the same characteristics
   as in b)
d) The TTL is one hour... I guess that's so they can pick up and
   move to, say, an XO data center real fast.

I think calpop.com is a cabinet inside a Savvis co-lo,
not that there's anything wrong with that.

-mark