Perspective on ARIN allocations to non-American entities

Mark Radabaugh mark at amplex.net
Sat Apr 6 04:42:52 UTC 2002

> I've searched the IANA and ICANN sites, and have found no
> justification
> for what appear to be ARIN allocations to foreign entities within
> 66.231.
>
> Two serious UCE/hacking attempt offenders are as follows:
>  66.231.64.0/20   GIGA-BLK-1
>  66.231.128.0/20  ECON-BLK-1
>
>  Why have these blocks
> apparently been allocated via ARIN?
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

GIGA-BLK-1 is in Columbia which last time I checked was in South
America.

>From the ARIN website: "We at the American Registry for Internet Numbers
manage the Internet numbering resources for North and South America, the
Caribbean, and sub-Saharan Africa. "

ECON-BLK-1 has a French address.  I'm going to take a wild guess that
it's for a network in Africa or the Caribbean that is administered by a
French company.

Mark