fibre management

Stefan Mink mink at schlund.net
Fri Apr 5 07:10:40 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm currently planing the "communications room" for our new
computer center where the equipment of the carriers and our backbone-/
distribution-routers will be installed.

To avoid all the pitfalls of unstructured cabling ;) I'd like to
realise the cabling as structured as possible. My current scheme
uses 3 "fibre cross connects":
 * one to connect carrier-lines and bb-routers (~500 SM ports)
 * one to connect bb-router and distr-routers (~400 MM ports)
 * one to connect distr-routers with access-routers/distribution switches
   in the rooms where servers are placed (~3000 MM ports)
-> * maximum flexibility
   * connects are only done via short patch cables
     a) inside the rack of the equipment to a pach panel
     b) between ports off the cross connect
   * the way from one port to another is explicit

Fibre cross connects which could cope with these port counts seem to
be the Telect ADF and the ADC NGF, but they're probably the Ferraris (?)
of the fibre management frames and probably quite expensive too (I must
admit I have no experience at all with these beasts...)

So my questions:
* Does the general setup make sene? What could be done in a better way?
* Are there some useful resources in the web about cabling structuring?
(for other interested:
 http://stele.adc.com/Library/Literature/842.pdf is quite good IMHO)

I'd be happy to hear if somebody did make some positive or negative
experience and what vendors are having useful and price worthy products
(or products I should avoid for certain reasons ;) ).

Even though we'll have few copper lines (for E1/ISDN), I'd be happy
about copper-cabling resources/infos too...

thanks &&
   tschuess
             Stefan
--
Stefan Mink        Schlund + Partner AG     Tel:  +49 721 91374 0
Netzwerkabteilung  Erbprinzenstr. 4-12      Fax:  +49 721 91374 212
                   D-76133 Karlsruhe        Mail: mink at schlund.net