Qwest Support

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Thu Apr 4 22:42:51 UTC 2002

Wow, Qwest support is indeed terrible.

Turned up the DS3 today...the connectivity seems fine. I decided to check
a couple of routeservers (nitrous); all had my much-prepended UUnet
announcement, but NONE had my Qwest announcement. Not a huge deal, but
curious to me.  Is Qwest just not at the public peering points? When I
checked route-views.oregan-ix.net, I felt better, but yet annoyed. Even
with the prepends, most networks were announcing UUnet's path.

So I decided to call them and ask...man what a mistake. The guy is like,
"Ok, hold on, let me get somebody from our IP noc." 10 minutes goes by,
and he comes back with "Couldn't get anybody in the IP noc, let me try to
get somebody in your install group" (being that I turned up the DS3
today). Comes back another 10 minutes later with "Well, I left a message
for them, but there isn't much I can do. Nobody seems to be answering
their phone. If somebody doesn't call you back within 30 minutes, here's
a number to call..."

So what if my routes were actually hosed? I'd just be screwed because they
can't get anybody at the IP noc?

I wait. Nobody calls back within 30 minutes. I call the number he gave me.
Busy. You gotta be kidding me.

So I call the main number again, talk to somebody different. She has me
hold, and then brings some guy on the line "who can help me". I start to
talk about route servers, and he's immediately like "Woah, this is a BGP
problem...I can't help you. Let me try to get somebody from the IP noc."

So, I wait on hold for about 15 minutes, only to be given dial tone.

Please tell me it isn't always THIS bad?

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access