gtld-servers returning multiple A records for a NS?

Matt Larson mlarson at verisign.com
Thu Apr 4 18:25:18 UTC 2002

Matt Levine wrote:
> When did this start?

Associating multiple IP addresses with a single name server (i.e., multiple
A records with the same owner) in the com, net and org zones has always been
possible with the NSI Registry/VeriSign Global Registry Services.  This
behavior is documented in the RRP protocol spec; please see RFC 2832,
section 4.3.1.2.  Whether or not a given registrar supports this is another
matter and I don't know what each one allows.

william at elan.net wrote:
> Now it appears there is reverse situation - some registrars allow (and
> verisign no longer gives an error) to register dns servers in different
> domains all pointing to the same ip. I belive they may have some stupid
> idea to help/encourage using shared hosting and preserve ip space.

Err, no.  The limitation of only one name server (i.e., A record) per IP
address was an unfortunate Registry-based restriction that was removed on
January 19 of this year.  The motivation had nothing to do with "preserving
ip space".  There were several reasons for relaxing this restriction, not
the least of which was that there wasn't a good reason for it in the first
place.  An immediate positive benefit is that it's no longer possible for
someone to hold a given IP address hostage by registering a name server at
that address.  (Anyone can register a com/net/org name server at any IP
address.)

Matt
--
Matt Larson <mlarson at verisign.com>