gtld-servers returning multiple A records for a NS?

Matt Levine matt at deliver3.com
Thu Apr 4 12:19:03 UTC 2002

<snip>
>> Yea, apparently in January Verisign changed their long standing policy of
>> allowing only one name server to be registered per IP Address.  To
>> confuse matters even more, I don't think all of the registrars support
>> this, and I have not seen anything official from ICANN (not that
>> anyone cares what ICANN thinks).

> I'm not certain that this is entirely accurate.  Certainly, ns0.ja.net has
> had two IP addresses for as long as I can remember (at least for the last
> five years...) and has been happily reflected in the whois and .net zone.

The policy change mentioned would mean that ns0.ja.net and ns3.ja.net could
be the same IP Address, which had previously not been allowed.

Can't speak for other registars, but opensrs will now let you register
multiple NS's on an IP.

Regards,
Matt
--
Matt Levine
@Home: matt at deliver3.com
@Work: matt at eldosales.com
ICQ  : 17080004
AIM  : exile
PGP  : http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6C0D04CF
"The Trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."  -BIX