The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Sat Sep 29 10:09:33 UTC 2001

--On Friday, 28 September, 2001 10:12 PM -0400 Sean Donelan
<sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> Of course, we could adopt geographic allocations.  North American is
> still working on (+1) in e.164 space.  We could shrink the global
> route table to a few thousand routes.

We have this at a continental level. At less than a continental
level the argument against this is that at lower distances there
is a poorer and poorer map between geographic proximity and
(network) topological proximity. Pick any major US city without
a popular peering point / private peering for a trivial example.

Alex Bligh
Personal Capacity