The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Sep 29 02:40:41 UTC 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> But I thought the problem is not *size* of the table, but *changes* in the
> table.  With zero updates, a BGP table of double the current size would not
> bother any core router on the 'Net today.

The global telephone table takes months to change, would that be slow
enough?

Do networks worldwide really need to know everytime a router in East
Nowhere reboots?

> So, let's work on things like progressive flap dampening.  I believe you
> suggested this before, Sean?

Flap dampening measured by the symptom is fine.  The more you flap, the
more you are dampened.  But as at least one group of academics found, the
length of the prefix is not related to its propensity to flap.  Proposing
a /24 should be dampened for a longer period, for the same number of
flaps, than a /8 is misguided.