The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Sep 29 02:09:15 UTC 2001

At 10:12 PM 9/28/2001 -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:

 >> The global routing table is hereby capped at 125K routes.  After that,
 >> if you want a route, you have to pay somebody to give up theirs.
 >
 >Of course, we could adopt geographic allocations.  North American is
 >still working on (+1) in e.164 space.  We could shrink the global
 >route table to a few thousand routes.

There are many prefixes which are demonstrably useless in the global table
(e.g. most of 7046).  If you are really interested in reducing the size of
the table, why not go after those?  Instant gratification and all that.

But I thought the problem is not *size* of the table, but *changes* in the
table.  With zero updates, a BGP table of double the current size would not
bother any core router on the 'Net today.

So, let's work on things like progressive flap dampening.  I believe you
suggested this before, Sean?

--
TTFN,
patrick