good advice for operators (forwarded, with commentary)

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Sat Sep 29 01:44:45 UTC 2001

> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:29:25 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sean M. Doran <smd at clock.org>

> The muckslinging here reminds me of the break between

[ snip ]

> I got a message from an operator people would recognize
> that is interesting, useful, and relevant to operations.
>
> Hopefully the good advice in here won't get lost just
> because the author in question is on the "filtering side".

I get it, now.  It's "pro-filtering" and "anti-filtering".
There's no gray area. *sigh*

Sign me up for party #3, selective filtering, in the flamefest

> "announce ... aggregates [, develop a] sensible policy
> [, and acquire] /20's for each location."
>
> Who can argue with that?

Sounds good to me.

> Those of you who feel that regional & local ISPs are being persecuted,
> please tattoo that advice on your forehead, backwards, so you
> can see it reflected in your monitor next time before you
> flame on NANOG about how horrible filtering long prefixes is.

Muckslinging?  pot --> kettle --> black

> My correspondent and his or her colleagues will appreciate
> the reduction in stomach acids which are not good for any
> engineer's duodenum.

No kidding.

> PS: Well, it's even better if you never announce the
>     more specifics in the first place, imho, but...

Unless, again, there is no alternative.

> | > ps - bad cold, hence in for the night bored
> | > - --
> | > |

No problem with this.  Does this mean multihoming automatically
qualifies one for a /20?  If not, we still have a reason to allow
longer than /20.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence