The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sat Sep 29 01:25:02 UTC 2001

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Sean M. Doran wrote:
> Sean Donelan wrote:
> | Sprint kept the filters on for years afterwards.  It may have taken
> | the clueless salespeople a few years, but they eventually did figure out
> | how to recite the magic words "buy your circuit from sprint and you
> | won't have problems with filters" was a way to win a sale.
>
> "Thank you even more clueless competitors."

As I mentioned, I applied the same filters on both inbound route
announcements which had a Sprint AS in the path, and outbound
route announcements.

Because I used consistent route announcements, inbound and outbound,
I never had a customer complaint.

The only people who complained were Sprint customers.  They always
had the same story, but the filter's don't apply to us.  We use
Sprint.  Upon further investigation, they always found they didn't
need to announce those more specific routes.  With a little extra
work, they figured out how to announce their registry allocated
block.

If Sprint had used a consistent route announcement policy, their
customers could have reduced their use of the global routing table
must sooner.  And after all, wasn't that the reason why this would
"save the Internet?"  Instead the policy seemed to be "save the
Internet, unless you pay Sprint extra then its all you can eat
night at the village commons."

Sprint never did pay me.