The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Sean M. Doran smd at clock.org
Sat Sep 29 00:45:24 UTC 2001

Sean Donelan wrote:

| Sprint kept the filters on for years afterwards.  It may have taken
| the clueless salespeople a few years, but they eventually did figure out
| how to recite the magic words "buy your circuit from sprint and you
| won't have problems with filters" was a way to win a sale.

"Thank you even more clueless competitors."

| And who could forget the popular "Don't buy a circuit from small ISP, because
| they won't be able to get past the Internet filters."  I went through
| a half-dozen Sprint sales people in different parts of the country,
| and by 1996 or so they all had the spiel down pat.

Wouldn't it have been easier for small ISP to just aggregate?
I mean, /19s got through after all!

The ONLY reason this became a competitive advantage for Sprint
was because it's COMPETITORS didn't have the brains to impose
a similar filter.

Honestly, nobody anticipated they'd be so stupid, but good luck
is good luck....

	Sean. (who had left by the time of "a few years")