The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Sat Sep 29 00:00:59 UTC 2001

To set the record straingt --

by the time Sprint instituted filtering policy, it had no AGS+es in the
core.  Incidentally, Sprint was the first ISP to start deplyoing 7000s
(and discovering bugs in those - the instability caused by the forced
installation of the "latest and greatest" didn't make customers very
happy).

The reason for being very sensitive about routing tables was that ICM part
of things had quite arcane routing policies; and ability of AS1800 boxes
to process updates in a timely fashion was quite vital for keeping
US-Europe Internet connectivity up and running.

Marketing at that time was so clueless about Internet that they couldn't
even pronounce "routing filter", and definitely couldn't make a marketing
blitz out of it.

--vadim