The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Daniel Golding dgolding at sockeye.com
Fri Sep 28 21:28:25 UTC 2001

[snip]

> A more NANOG centric discussion may be to understand how many providers
> would have problems given larger route tables. We all don't have routers
> that can easily chew through a 100,000+ line BGP table.

But, we all do, or we aren't talking BGP. The requirements here are not that
large. A Cisco 2651 with 128mb is a valid BGP speaker, these days. That's a
cheap router, indeed. And, router memory is dirt cheap.

> How much can we give to individual entities without endangering the
> common good?

The problem here is that there are MANY individual entities that are
multihoming using less than RIR allocated blocks. The common good is
promoted by allowing these folks to multihome, which would be effectively
prohibited if all networks implimented verio-style filter policies. Your own
network (Adelphia) advertises more specific /24s from larger blocks, and
many blocks smaller than RIR boundaries. You almost certainly have excellent
reasons for doing this, as do many service providers (i.e. the common
practice of announcing the larger aggregate, then announcing smaller
prefixes for each POP, at more localized transit connections). Is this a
capability you are willing to lose? I hope not, as it would negatively
impact your customers.

The number of folks who multihome is large and growing. We should support
this by promoting relatively open filtering policies and allowing /24s to be
truly, globally routable.

- Daniel Golding