The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Joseph T. Klein jtk at titania.net
Fri Sep 28 21:12:51 UTC 2001

At 16:13 -0400 28-09-2001, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>At 08:06 PM 9/28/2001 +0000, Joseph T. Klein wrote:
>
>>I want to you to put a couple of channelized DS-3s, an ATM OC12c,
>>and a POS OC48c to your backbone plus all the BGP peers you can sign
>>up at AADS on a PC.
>
>Please show me a single router, from any vendor, which supports
>those interfaces yet cannot handle 100K+ routes.  Even while under
>significant (but not 100%) load.

It depends on the stability of the routes. Conditions can exists
that can arguably make either one of our statements true or false.
I belive you will find older dark blue routers with bridges painted
on them run out of gas trying to forward packet and deal with route
changes no matter how much RAM you cram in them.

Dampening is alternative way to filter.

>>The black and white simplicity expressed by people on this forum is
>>unbelievable.
>
>You mean like: "Yet, I don't belive every corner of every network
>has routers that can
>easily chew through 100,000 route tables." ??

Yes, like my simplistic statement on black and white simplicity.

--
Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer                                 jtk at titania.net
Adelphia Business Solutions                joseph.klein at adelphiacom.com

     "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
                                                  -- John W. Stewart III