What's really going on in Lower Manhattan

Nathan J . Mehl memory-nanog at blank.org
Fri Sep 28 20:17:44 UTC 2001

In the immortal words of Mike Moglin (mike at jungle.net):

>    Does anyone know what is really going on?

Having recently (last night) taken a quick stroll by as close to
ground zero as civilians are currently allowed to get (*) and gotten a
hard look at the area, I'm going to say with some confidence: no,
nobody actually knows what's really going on.  Probably least of all
Verizon.

There's still a lot of digging to do, quite literally.  Don't expect a
straight answer or even a moderately plausible lie out of Verizon for
a few more weeks at least.

-n

(*) the intersection of Broadway and Cortland has been set up as a de
    facto tourist corral