The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Sep 28 20:10:18 UTC 2001

At 12:51 PM 9/28/2001 -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:

 >If it's a good idea and well presented, they'll do it.

Dorian argued (effectively, IMHO) that this is no where near always the case.

 >But somebody like Patrick would qualify as a third party, with no rights at
 >all, and would be, and should be, ignored.

Thanx, Paul.  I do believe you qualify as a third party as well. :)

However, please note that at no time did I say Verio must stop
filtering.  At least I do not think I did.  If I did, please forgive me, I
should not have done so.  In fact, I quite clearly stated: "I encourage
Verio and Verio engineers to continue filtering if they so desire."

I did say their actions were opposite their words (they are), I mentioned
that no other backbone (at least none I can find) filters like Verio does,
and I noted some of the affects to smaller providers if all backbones filtered.

I also encouraged all other backbones to filter Verio as Verio filters
them.  But that is just a suggestion.  Feel free to configure your routers
(mail servers, etc.) as you please.

--
TTFN,
patrick