The Gorgon's Knot. Was: Re: Verio Peering Question

Joseph T. Klein jtk at titania.net
Fri Sep 28 20:06:36 UTC 2001

At 21:32 +0200 28-09-2001, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>On Friday 28 September 2001, at 18 h 17,
>"Joseph T. Klein" <jtk at titania.net> wrote:
>
>>  would have problems given larger route tables. We all don't have routers
>>  that can easily chew through a 100,000+ line BGP table.

OK ... I amend my prior statement 250,000+

Yet, I don't belive every corner of every network has routers that can
easily chew through 100,000 route tables.

>I believe it is a legend. Unless you use Cisco 25xx to have a full BGP feed.

Yeah right. I suggest you look at real world loaded 7200s. They have
problems with full routing tables.

>Any Taiwan-made PC can swallow much more. The limit is not clear but is
>certainly far away from us.

I want to you to put a couple of channelized DS-3s, an ATM OC12c,
and a POS OC48c to your backbone plus all the BGP peers you can sign
up at AADS on a PC.

The black and white simplicity expressed by people on this forum is
unbelievable.
--
Joseph T. Klein                                         +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer                                 jtk at titania.net
Adelphia Business Solutions                joseph.klein at adelphiacom.com

     "... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
                                                  -- John W. Stewart III