GPS SA and Network Timing

Owen DeLong owen at delong.sj.ca.us
Wed Sep 26 16:44:13 UTC 2001

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
> "Hire, Ejay" <Ejay.Hire at Broadslate.net> writes:
>

>>In our next episode of Militant dictator How-to, we'll show you how to
>>upgrade an antique scud missile to with a guidance system capable of 3-meter
>>accuracy for less than $500.00 per unit..  Stay tuned!
>>

> Somehow, I find it difficult to believe I'm dignifying this with a
> response (much less a public one), but here goes:
>
> Every commercial GPS unit that I have ever seen has a speed which, if
> exceeded, will cause the unit to shut down (usually until
> power-cycled).  It varies from unit to unit, but in every observed
> case was substantially (several times) less than the speed of such
> weaponry in flight.  Commercial units also have altitude limits, with
> the same consequences for exceeding them.  Integrating an OEM GPS
> module with existing avionics systems' targeting mechanism so it can
> actually cause the missile to adjust its course is left as an exercise
> to the local defense systems integrator.

I know my Garmin 195 functions in real life up to about 462 knotts.  I
don't know what it's shutdown point for real life is, as I haven't ever
been able to deploy it in an environment going faster than that.

I also know that in simulator mode, it is good to about 1000 knotts.

If I remember correctly, the SCUD is subsonic.  As such, I believe the
Garmin would handle it.

> Resist the cycle of content-free posts to NANOG...
>
>                                         ---Rob

Owen

"Every time you turn on your new car, you're turning on 20
  microprocessors.  Every time you use an ATM, you're using a computer.
  Every time I use a settop box or game machine, I'm using a computer.
  The only computer you don't know how to work is your Microsoft
  computer, right?"
         - Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
           from an April 1997 interview in Upside Magazine

"One World, One Web, One Program." - Microsoft Promotional Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler