Points of Failure (was Re: National infrastructure asset)

Travis Pugh tdp at discombobulated.net
Tue Sep 25 23:44:42 UTC 2001

From: "Sean Donelan" <sean at donelan.com>

> When even NORAD and VISA have had problems maintaining diversity, I
> find it hard to believe it is a simple as saying the key is to be
> an educated buyer.  Heck, I know major, major carriers which have
> wiped out all the circuits to their own NOC.

I don't mean to understate the difficulty of maintaining diversity, or the
willingness of carriers to dodge the issue.  I've been screwed my share of
times on "diverse" circuits.  You have to take that into account, and plan
for it -- hopefully a carrier or two lying shamelessly about diversity is
part of the buyer's education.

-travis