NATURE: Error and attack tolerance of complex networks

Anthony Townsend townsnda at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 22:16:02 UTC 2001

this is interesting, published late last year.

NATURE
Error and attack tolerance of complex networks

RÉKA ALBERT, HAWOONG JEONG & ALBERT-LÁSZLÓ BARABÁSI

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v406/n6794/full/406378a0_fs.html&_UserReference=C0A804ED4650CFB95F82A6651F4B3BAF6B7C

"We find that such networks display an unexpected
degree of robustness, the ability of their nodes to
communicate being unaffected even by unrealistically
high failure rates. However, error tolerance comes at
a high price in that these networks are extremely
vulnerable to attacks (that is, to the selection and
removal of a few nodes that play a vital role in
maintaining the network's connectivity). Such error
tolerance and attack vulnerability are generic
properties of communication networks."

--- "Dickson, Brian" <brian.dickson at velocita.com>