Points of Failure (was Re: National infrastructure asset)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Sep 24 19:02:00 UTC 2001

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Bob Bownes wrote:
> But there was a point in time when taking out a certain parking garage
> in Va could have caused us a very great deal of difficulty. But I'd say
> we are past that, for the most part.

Are we?

When 25 Broadway failed, approximately 1% of the global Internet
routing  table also disappeared.  Which I would guess qualifies it
as a "major" hub.

Verizon still has 100,000 lines out of service, and only now
begun to restore service to "small" businesses.

A couple of years ago a fiber cut in Ohio disrupted about 20% of
the Internet routing table.