National infrastructure asset

Timothy Brown timothy.brown at pobox.com
Sun Sep 23 14:43:21 UTC 2001

> But it does bring up another issue.  As far as I know, Exodus is
> the only colocation designated a "national infrastructure asset.
> http://www.thestreet.com/tech/internet/1090327.html
>
> I have no idea what that means in practical terms.  But I did want
> to raise the question.  As an industry, we aren't vertically integrated.
> Instead its an inter-linked set of dependencies.  Its not like the old
> days when the government could just call up Ma Bell, and find out what is
> happening.

It is my understanding that the US Government has "national infrastructure"
inside Exodus facilities.  As for what that means precisely, it's anyone's
guess.  Security at the Exodus facility in Atlanta has always been pretty
good, but I wouldn't call it stellar.

I know that the USG at one point had significant infrastructure inside the
Atlanta facility.  I recall seeing some serious looking cages around routers
and Sun gear, but I couldn't say for sure; it was a long time ago.

Tim