Checking visitors entering your facility

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Sep 20 23:54:07 UTC 2001

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:43:43 -0600 Leigh Anne Chisholm <lachisho at tnc.com> wrote:

> I can't say that when I arranged telco services, that I was ever in a
> position to note the vehicle that the tech(s) came in.  I don't know that
> I'd be too concerned about the vehicles missing but Sean does raise a good
> point.  During this "hot" period of terrorist activity, are you watching all
> the strangers that come into your organization?  I know I've had people walk
> into one of my remote offices saying that it was time for the printers to
> get their periodic cleaning--and the staff just let them.  They had complete
> unescorted access to the facilities.  It's just not something that's
> commonly thought of on a day to day basis, but should be now.

which is still insufficiently paranoid.

a substantial amount of industrial espionage is done by agents who get
themselves hired by janitorial services and the like, where there is often
no vetting of any sort. there's no reason why others with differing
criminal interests can't use the same methods.

seriously, do you have any idea who is emptying your trash basket? do you
really think that the bean counters took that sort of thing into
consideration when they selected the firm who does that work?

given the stories we hear about routers and switches and servers being
unplugged so that the vacuum or the buffer can be run, it's clear that
nobody is escorting the cleaning staff around the facility. perhaps this
should change.

richard