Cisco PIX 515-->520?

Lisa Napier lnapier at cisco.com
Tue Sep 18 19:08:46 UTC 2001

Hi all,

Answers below:

>From: Todd Suiter
>Date: Wed Sep 12 20:19:02 2001
>

>  I'm hearing rumors of problems with the 515 series PIX:
>
>  '...that in some cases Cisco has opted to replace customers'  515 Pixes
> with 520's at no charge because the 515 in some cases accepts packets
> with spoofed source addresses that it should be able to reject.'

This is untrue.

>has anyone heard of this? Far as I know the sw is the same, but hw is
>different.

The hardware is different - that's why there are different product numbers
- however the difference is in processing power and speed.  Currently on
the PIX, the anti-spoofing checks are all done in SOFTWARE, so
anti-spoofing will be consistent across all hardware platforms.

Hope that helps,

Lisa Napier
Product Security Incident Response Team
Cisco Systems
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/sec_incident_response.shtml

PGP:  A671 782D 2926 B489 F81A 3D5E B72F E407 B72C AF1F
ID: 0xB72CAF1F, DH/DSS 2048/1024