Our Qwest Testimonial: qwestoutage.com

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Tue Sep 18 17:40:00 UTC 2001

> This really is way outside most people's "disaster recovery" scenarios.  I
> can see the thinking now: "If both WTC towers fall over, we have much
> bigger things to worry about than fiber cuts."  And they were right.

Right as far as that goes, yes.  But since fiber paths of that kind are used
to feed cell towers and other parts of the communications infrastructure
including emergency services infrastructure, it IS worth thinking about
communications robustness even in the face of destruction on this scale.  Not
so that folks can surf the web but so that folks in air pockets can call out
to their rescuers.
--
Paul Vixie <vixie at eng.paix.net>
President, PAIX.Net Inc. (NASD:MFNX)