Just Carnivore (was: Yahoogroups and Carnivore)

Roeland Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Tue Sep 18 01:01:53 UTC 2001

The only way this works is that you route to someone, that has a VPN pipe to
somewhere else.... nah, even that won't work. You can encrypt the packets
but you can't do it anonymously, unless you are at a public access point.
Even so, they can identify the MAC addr. That, plus the time-stamp, and
you're nailed. All they need is the motivation.

However, given mil-grade VPNs these days, there is no way they can read what
you sent. They can only tell that you sent something. However, I just
discovered the Steganography stuff in my SuSE Linux distribution, hmmmmm.
But, they still know where it came from and where it went.

The problem is that, it's looking for a camoflaged needle in a camoflaged
needle stack, all of which are capable of changing patterns, like a
chameleon. First you have to find it and then figure out what it is. That
processing capability doesn't yet exist. Certainly not under WinNT and the
typical hardware it runs on. All that they can tell is that encrypted
traffic went from point A to point B.