Just Carnivore (was: Yahoogroups and Carnivore)

Larry Diffey ldiffey at technologyforward.com
Mon Sep 17 23:22:09 UTC 2001

Supposedly Carnivore only targets specific kinds of traffic and doesn't
really monitor everything at once.  It's not like (again, supposedly)
Echelon that examines everything and then red flags certain items.
Carnivore is only looking for certain things.  Also, there is no outside
access to it.  Someone has to physically come in and remove the mass media
(what ever that may be: more than likely a hard drive).

My guess is, Carnivore actually sounds a lot more threatening than it is.
Still a violation of civil liberties as far as I'm concerned but it's bark
is worse than it's bite.  Especially since everyone has heard of it and
there are ways around it.

Let's see, I want to send email to someone but I want it to be completely
anonymous.  I go to safeweb.com or any other anonomizer and get myself a
hotmail address.  I then send it to the recipient with PGP encoded text.  He
logs on to hotmail through anonomizer and retrieves it, decodes it and reads
it.  If I was really smart I'd bounce around a couple of other proxies while
I was at it.

Carnivore? Toothless!

Larry Diffey
Technology Forward
I speak for my employer because I speak for myself.