Yahoogroups and Carnivore

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Mon Sep 17 20:30:45 UTC 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Jay Fenello wrote:

> As of yesterday, the performance of Yahoogroup's has
> degraded from a couple minutes, to a couple of hours
> between posting and distribution. It is rumored that
> this is due to Carnivore being installed at major
> ISPs throughout the country.
>
> Any insights?

No hard information, just logic. This can't be carnivore, because
carnivore, as I understand it, is passive. And you do realize how many
people aren't behing the 'major' ISPs, right? Those people are going to
see the same lag.

Plus, when the rest of the net isn't suffering, and some part of yahoo is?
Chances are it's yahoo's deal. I'm guessing they installed moderators. It
wouldn't be bad policy to not allow encrypted postings, and how the hell
are you going to autofilter that?

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access