Yahoogroups and Carnivore

John Neiberger neiby at excite.com
Mon Sep 17 20:15:16 UTC 2001

I don't know about Yahoogroups, but on 9/13 I received an email from Sprint
stating that a huge number of backbone routers would be down for emergency
software upgrades scheduled for today.  This seems at least a bit suspicious
and my first thought was "Carnivore."  I can't imagine why they'd have to do
an emergency software upgrade on forty routers all in the same time frame.

Well, that's not entirely true.  I suppose if they were suffering from some
buggy code and hadn't noticed it until they had already changed the IOS in
all of those routers, they'd want to remedy the problem as quickly as
possible.

Still, it made me wonder.

John