What Worked - What Didn't

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Sep 17 18:32:35 UTC 2001

At 11:18 AM 9/17/2001 -0700, Randy Bush wrote:

 >no one went after the comms infrastructure.  when they do, i suspect that
 >we will find the internet is extremely vulnerable.  how many folk even
 >have md5 auth turned on their bgp peering sessions?  what nievete!

If someone can splice into my point-to-point OC system, fake being the
router on the other end, and keep my peer from calling me and asking what
happened, well, then I have MUCH bigger things to worry about than whether
my BGP session is valid.  (And he probably has the capability to do
whatever he wants, no matter how hard I try to stop him.)

As for public peering points, the ARP resolution would cause problems, and
either I or my peer would notice pretty darned quickly.  But only a small
percentage of the traffic on the 'Net goes over public peering points these
days anyway.

Not sure where else anyone could use MD5 on their BGP.  Maybe I missed
something?

--
TTFN,
patrick