What Worked - What Didn't

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Sep 17 18:26:40 UTC 2001

At 02:09 PM 9/17/2001 -0400, Daniel Golding wrote:

 >I specified Edgesuite, rather than simply akamizing the links. I think that
 >moving ALL content, rather than just some linked content to distributed
 >servers makes a big difference.

Again, a strictly technical post:

EdgeSuite does serve the entire page, and while it is possible that "moving
ALL content" might take longer than just moving images, I (personally)
believe that would perform better than Akamaizing only images during times
of peak congestion.

EdgeSuite, much like FreeFlow, does not pre-populate servers.  It requests
content that has been requested of it.  So when a user goes to an
EdgeSuited site, they are sent to the nearest Akamai server.  That Akamai
server requests the HTML as well as individual objects, saves them to the
hard drive, and serves them to the user.  If no user requests a page, it
will not be fetched.

So the first user may not experience a large performance increase, but they
might, we have other behind-the-scenes tricks which sometimes
helps.  Either way, they should not see a performance decrease.  And all
subsequent users should see a substantial performance increase.

 From the standpoint of an origin server, it only sees one request per
region of Akamai servers (upper bound, usually lower).  With FreeFlow, the
origin server has to serve HTML to *every* user, and only the large files
(images, PDFs, other static content - whatever they tell us to deliver) are
served by Akamai.

--
TTFN,
patrick