NANOG PGP keysigning in Oakland

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Sep 17 16:52:36 UTC 2001

We will be holding a PGP Key signing party at the IETF meeting in
Oakland.  We have been scheduled to meet <at a time/venue to be selected
by the NANOG organizers, but I'm presuming the evening of 22 October>.
The procedure we will use is the following:

o People who wish to participate should email an ASCII extract of their
  PGP public key to <bmanning at karoshi.com> by noon on Monday 22 October,
  2001. Please include a subject line of "NANOG PGP KEY", and please
  avoid MIME-encrypting your e-mail.  (I will be running the entire mail
  folder file through PGP, and PGP-keys that are base-64 encoded will
  get ignored unless I take manual action to fix things.  I will try do
  the manual fixup, but I make no guarantees about catching all of them.)

  The method of generating the ASCII extract under Unix is:

        pgp -kxa my_email_address mykey.asc             (pgp 2.6.2)
        pgpk -xa my_email_address > mykey.asc           (pgp 5.x)
        gpg --export -a my_email_address > mykey.asc    (gpg)

  If you're using Windows or Macintosh, hopefully it will be Intuitively
  Obvious (tm) using the GUI interface how to generate an ASCII armored

o By 6pm on Monday, you will be able to fetch complete key ring
  from the following URL with all of the keys that were submitted:

        http://weblet.ep.net/nanog23.pgp

o At 10:30pm, come prepared with the PGP Key fingerprint of your PGP
  public key; we will have handouts with all of the key fingerprints of
  the keys that people have mailed in.

o In turn, readers at the front of the room will recite people's keys;
  as your key fingerprint is read, stand up, and at the end of reading
  of your PGP key fingerprint, acknowledge that the fingerprint as read
  was correct.

o Later that evening, or perhaps when you get home, you can sign the
  keys corresponding to the fingerprints which you were able to verify
  on the handout; note that it is advisable that you only sign keys of
  people when you have personal knowledge that the person who stood up
  during the reading of his/her fingerprint really is the person which
  he/she claimed to be.

o Submit the keys you have signed to the PGP keyservers. A good one to
  use is the one at MIT: simply send mail containing the ascii armored
  version of your PGP public key to <pgp at pgp.mit.edu>.

Note that you don't have to have a laptop with you; if you don't have
any locally trusted computing resources during the key signing party,
you can make notes on the handout, and then take the handout home and
sign the keys later.

                                         - bill