telehouse - 25 broadway

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sun Sep 16 14:46:35 UTC 2001

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 08:56:10PM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
> But I would like to point out, no one regularly runs their
> generators for 48+ hours as part of a normal test.  In addition,
> most standby generators are fitted only for "limited" duration
> runs.  You should expect problems during any extended run of a
> generator plant.  I'm a bit surprised that 25 Broadway and
> 32 Old Slip are the only ones we've heard about.

I think "limited" here is a bit misleading.  Most of these engines
are continuous duity rated, which means within the bounds of
maintenance items (oil changes, gasket changes, and other routine
maintenance) they can run non-stop.  Most gensets are essentially
the same components that power diesel-electric locomotives that
routinely run for weeks at a time without shutdown.

Here in ice storm country every few years power is out for 3-4 days
in some areas after bad storms.  Generators routinely run for 3-4
days and cause no concern over their condition, other than to move
up routine maintenance due to the additional run time.

I suspect dust is going to be the largest problem for all generators
in the area.  It will reduce radiator effectiveness, wear on exteral
parts (fans and the like), clog air and oil cleaners.  Again, these
devices are made for some fairly harsh enviornments so 48 hours is
no concern, I would think expecting 2 weeks of reliable power if
they are attended to even in these conditions is reasonable.

That said, generators should always be at least N+1, as they are
large, complex mechanical devices.

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440