An Idea

Grace, Terry tgrace at thestar.ca
Sat Sep 15 03:06:59 UTC 2001

With all of the difficulties piecing together what occurred on the aircraft,
a friend and I were throwing around some wild ideas. One that I thought had
some merit was to have all instrumentation output, voice and even possibly
video (flight deck and cabin) continuosly downlinked to ground stations or
uplinked to satellites enroute. Yes, this would be a lot of data  even with
some type of encoding to reduce the volume and would be very costly to
implement sonsidering the computing power alone required to correlate it in
realtime, but considering that the information could saves lives, provide
early warning to all sorts of troubles, etc, IMHO, worth it. Far fethced
idea? Yes. Possible? I don't know.