AT&T Switch operational in basement of WTC

Frank Coluccio fcoluccio at dticonsulting.com
Fri Sep 14 23:40:33 UTC 2001

I have doubts that they were referring to a 5E. Optical muxes, and passive
optical feeds just passing through, maybe. The node in this case is the old
Teleport Communications Group main node that became ATT/Local Network Services
when they were acquired. I posted about this here in NANOG two days ago. It is
six levels down and amply fitted with backup battery plant to sustain long
outages, and was conceivably insulated enough to resist the turmoil above for six
hours of continued service. Some elements in this node also stayed up and running
for a moderately extended period during the last WTC failure, eight years ago,
during the bombing incident of 1993. -FAC