Yes it's off topic but who cares right now.

David Coder dcoder at verio.net
Fri Sep 14 17:45:12 UTC 2001

My fear is (1) that it won't be so easy to knock the enemy out & (2) that if we
rely exclusively on violence & threats of violence against people & countries,
we will intensify the enemy's hatred & create more enemies.  The goal of
eliminating all terrorism by eliminating all terrorists is a counterproductive
chimera.  It has not worked for the Israelis & it won't work for us.  (Consider
how young most terrorists are.  How many of them remember the war of 1948?)
Bin Laden hates us partly because we had troops in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf
war.  So we are proposing (I hear) to demand that Pakistan allow us to use it
as a staging area for strikes on Afghanistan.  And Pakistan has nuclear
weapons!  One might as well walk across a newly-painted floor to touch up a
spot on the other side.  It is especially important to avoid this trap at a
time when we need every friend that we can get.  I believe that an important
part of avoiding it is to try to understand and eliminate those causes of that
hatred that it is within our power to eliminate.  Unfortunately, not all are
and never were, but some are & we need to understand what they are and work on
them.  We have suddenly gone from feeling pretty invulnerable to feeling
vulnerable in the extreme.  First it was the dot.com bubble burst.  Now this
awful thing that dwarfs the worry about losing our jobs.   We are still better
off as regards both economic & physical security & the posession of power than
the vast majority of mankind has been through all of history, and that will
continue to cause problems for us.  That and a failure to pay sufficient
respect to the sensibilities of others.  The point here is not to say shame on
us.  The point here is to say we need to be careful whom we offend.  It might
have been better to learn to live without Middle Eastern oil than to have
offended Bin Laden.  This is not to defend him or his actions.  No event that I
have lived through, including Pearl Harbor & the Cuban missle crisis, has made
me as sick at heart and frightened for the future as the attack on the Trade
towers, & I want Bin Laden & his networks found and eliminated.  But This is an
area where it is especially hard to avoid taking counteproductive action.  We
need to be cautious and understanding about the way we proceed.

David