Analysis from a JHU CS Prof

Owen DeLong owen at delong.sj.ca.us
Thu Sep 13 23:28:03 UTC 2001

Leigh Anne Chisholm wrote:

> I despise posting off-topic, but I want to say two things...
>
> 1.  If a transponder is turned off, it doesn't mean that you don't show up
> on radar--a blip appears on the radar screen as long as you're high enough
> to be detected.  If however you fly low enough, you can fly below the
> radar's detection capability.  I don't offhand recall what height that
> is--it's been years since I was active as a pilot and prospective Air
> Traffic Controller.

That depends.  The FAA has begun removing "Primary Target" service from
some
of it's control center, citing cost-savings, etc. Some ARTCC and TRACON
facilities (Air Route Traffic Control Center and Terminal Radar Approach
Control)
have primary-target capabilities on their scopes, some do not.  Some of
the
recording systems record the primary targets, some do not.

As to the height at which you are undetectable, there are so many
determining
factors, that it's on a location by location basis. Factors include
height
of the antenna, terrain, distance from the antenna, number of radar
sites
covering the area (yes, there is an overlap in most of the US these
days),
etc.  For example, I know bay can see me on the ground at PAO if I leave
my transponder on.  However, Oakland Center can't see me in some parts
of Northern CA if I drop below 12,000 feet MSL (~4000 AGL in some of
those areas).

> 2.  What's the point of having transponder codes for hijacking if they're so
> well published everyone is aware of them?  The purpose of the codes was so
> that the pilot could communicate this information without the hijacker
> becoming aware of what was happening.  I have always REALLY DISLIKED the now
> common practice of advertising this information.  You're taking away one of
> the pilot's best tools...

Yes and no. There was a time when this was so poorly publicized that
many of
my fellow pilots didn't know that there was a hijack code. The fact is,
this
has always been published in the AIM, so anyone who cared could easily
pick
up a copy of the AIM (Airmans Information Manual) at their local pilot
shop
and find out. I don't think the knowledge of the code necessarily
prevents
the pilot from using it.  Any hijacker that's going to know about the
code
from any publicity it may have will already know enough to turn the
transponder off anyway for other reasons.

>   -- Leigh Anne

Owen DeLong
PP ASEL, Instrument Airplane

"Every time you turn on your new car, you're turning on 20
 microprocessors.  Every time you use an ATM, you're using a computer.
 Every time I use a settop box or game machine, I'm using a computer.
 The only computer you don't know how to work is your Microsoft
 computer, right?"
        - Scott McNealy, CEO of Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
          from an April 1997 interview in Upside Magazine