Analysis from a JHU CS Prof

Joel Baker lucifer at lightbearer.com
Thu Sep 13 22:05:13 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 03:11:15PM -0600, Leigh Anne Chisholm wrote:

> 2.  What's the point of having transponder codes for hijacking if they're so
> well published everyone is aware of them?  The purpose of the codes was so
> that the pilot could communicate this information without the hijacker
> becoming aware of what was happening.  I have always REALLY DISLIKED the now
> common practice of advertising this information.  You're taking away one of
> the pilot's best tools...

Then you would probably consider it a good thing that the code he gave is
not, in fact, the transponder code for hijacking. And no, I'm not going to
detail what the correct one is. Go ask a pilot (such as the one living in
my house), if you want to know. Pretty much all of them know it; even those
who don't fly planes one could reasonably hijack.