Yes it's off topic but who cares right now.

Hank Nussbacher hank at att.net.il
Thu Sep 13 13:55:26 UTC 2001

At 08:28 13/09/01 -0400, Randy Bush wrote:

You missed the point.  I am not arguing with what you say, but rather the
equation of misusing the word martyr for:

a) a person killed by their enemy for their religious beliefs - either by
crucification, fire, beheading, etc. - is the definition of a martyr -
meaning someone *being* killed by someone else

b) a person *killing* people in a suicide mission.

There is a huge difference between *being killed* and *killing*
people.  One is the victim and one is the attacker.  Nothing to do with
religion.  Someone being killed for their religious beliefs is a
marytr.  Someone killing people for their religious beliefs via his act of
suicide is perhaps a shahid but is definitely *not* a martyr.

-Hank