Totally OT, sorry; was (Re: Lack of Security)

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Sep 13 14:16:36 UTC 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 07:34:00AM -0400, Robert Hough wrote:
> Yes, just like the tragedy that occured on Tuesday. They used a well
> known exploit in our system. Could we have stopped them with better
> security? It doesn't matter - preventing from happening again, is what
> matters to me.

The problem I have with all of the FAA action is that anyone with
a valid rating can rent a plane, even planes this large if they
have enough money.  I would guess the hijackers wanted a plane full
of people for additional shock value, but obtaining an empty (but
full of fuel) plane would be even easier for them, and almost no
FAA security measures would stop them.  Additionally, on a private
plane they could load on it explosive cargo without too much effort,
adding even more punch to the process.

I do believe we need to figure out how these planes were hijacked,
and take steps to prevent it from happening again.  That said, I
find it highly unlikely that eliminating curbside checkin will have
any effect other than to inconvenience travelers.

Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440