Horrible world trade center crash, traffic effect

Rishi Singh RSingh at Tradescape.com
Wed Sep 12 06:58:08 UTC 2001

Our Internap DS-3 circuit is down in NY. InterNAP can't call the circuit out
to Verizon, because Verizon isn't doing any testing or dispatching
currently. It could be a few days till this circuit comes back. We are
moving to our other providers at different geographical sites currently.

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Lockhart [mailto:simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 1:42 PM
To: Daniel Golding
Cc: deeann mikula; Charles Sprickman; Avi Freedman; nanog at merit.edu
Subject: Re: Horrible world trade center crash, traffic effect

>The problem seems to be site limiting, rather than network limiting.
>i.e., news sites are being overloaded, which is causing slow or no
>response to http queries due to either server overload (my guess) or
>news site transit link overload (also possible). This is what seems to
>be causing lacking of response to news sites, instead of generalized
>network or peering congestion.

I can concur. Network running fine (busy, but not full). Servers *very*
busy. I am amazed how few network outages in NYC I am hearing about.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516
BBC Internet Services                | Email: Simon.Lockhart at bbc.co.uk
Kingswood Warren,Tadworth,Surrey,UK  |   URL: http://support.bbc.co.uk/