NYC update, etc

Adam Rothschild asr at latency.net
Wed Sep 12 21:24:05 UTC 2001

Please excuse the operational nature of this posting, but there are a
few news items I'd like to share.  This message is void of political
arguments and wild, unwarranted speculation, and as such, some of you
might find it uninteresting.

- Genuity has opened a SEV 0 ("multiple sites down"; see NOC tour
  video for explanation of varying severity levels) ticket for NYC.
  For more info:

    finger ticket-1222256 at tickets.bbnplanet.com

- 111 8th Avenue and 60 Hudson Street are operating normally on
  utility power.  Both of these locations are mostly unmanned, and
  obtaining physical access may be tough.

- 25 Broadway, NYC (Telehouse) is without utility power, and has been
  running off generator since around 4pm yesterday.  They expect their
  current fuel supply to last 20+ hours.  Additional fuel has been
  secured, though transporting it into the city might be difficult.

  There are techs currently on site.

- Unconfirmed rumors of 34 Exchange Place in Jersey City, NJ (home to
  numerous important financial co's and Exodus) being evacuated.

- Reports indicate that there were power/HVAC issues at 32 Old Slip,
  NYC, now resolved.  Multiple dialup providers are reporting that all
  their PRI's are down.

- There have been talks of evacuating 300 Boulevard East in Weehawken,
  NJ (Level3, EXDS, etc), but I'm not sure if any action's been taken.

- I took some digital photos on the Jersey City waterfront, in hopes
  of giving folks a better idea of what's going on.  They're viewable
  at <http://www.latency.net/~asr/wtc/>.

  I'll try to update this directory tree periodically.  If you're
  interested in mirroring it, drop me a line off-list.

- Mitch Halmu <mitch at netside.net> and <measl at mfn.org> remain
  subscribed to this list, despite posts made that are not only in
  violation of this list's charter, but are outright sickening.

FYI,
-adam