Operational Content only please.

Todd Suiter todd at s4r.com
Wed Sep 12 17:38:17 UTC 2001

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, George William Herbert wrote:

> 3) Disaster recovery plans for facilities dropped into a hole in the ground
> 	My current contract had just deferred a major expansion
> 	on this issue.  They're in a building clearly identifyable
> 	on the San Francisco skyline.  I expect this to be a major
> 	reassessment starting tomorrow.  You, too...

Thought about this A LOT last night. Disaster Recovery is huge, complicated,
and expensive. Disaster Recovery Plans are well worth the rather large
amount of work that goes into them(I understand I am stating the obvious on
the both counts). While my company offers these types of services, in as
realtime as we can get, not too many people actually bother. Which, in
my opinion, is a rather huge mistake. (Just data replication on a large
scale, in near realtime, without running truckloads of DLTs back and forth, is
VERY expensive)

I'll be very interested to see what kind of 'new' companies crawl out of the
woodwork to take advantage of this.(See prior thread on gas prices) And, needless to say, if you don't have a DR plan, I'd highly recommend that you start
writing one, I can almost guarantee your management will be asking where it is.

toddler