World Trade Center attack

Kavi, Prabhu prabhu_kavi at tenornetworks.com
Tue Sep 11 14:41:47 UTC 2001

I assume you are talking about the phone system.  Not that
this is any consolation to you, but the phone system
is setup to operate this way during a disaster.

When a disaster strikes an area, the phone systems are setup
to allow mostly dial-out, rather than dial-in.  The reason
is that the people in the disaster area who are ok can call
family outside the disaster area and get the word out.  The
family members who receive the call can then inform others
outside the disaster area.

Otherwise what naturally happens is that a flood of calls
come in which ties up all the phone lines.  People in the
NYC/DC area cannot call out, and then all communications
effectively stops.

Having explained it, I understand it still doesn't make
it better for you.  Hope you hear from them soon.

Prabhu