Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

Adam McKenna adam-nanog at flounder.net
Mon Sep 10 00:42:25 UTC 2001

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 11:30:26AM -0700, woody weaver wrote:

> I'm not sure who was first, in terms of IOS NAT and ip_masq.  If memory
> serves (and it usually doesn't) then 11.2 was released around Aug 97.  I
> don't see any easy way to identify the release date.

Unfortunately, I let my urge to smack Meyer down mask the original intent of
my message.

To tell you the truth, I don't really care what products were shipping NAT
first -- the fact still remains that NAT was not some hack created by a small
group of people so that the "poor dialup user" could take revenge against the
evil ISP that won't give out more than 1 IP for $20/month (as Meyer would
have you believe).  It is a documented standard, brought about by the IETF as
a means of conserving IPv4 space.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna <adam at flounder.net>   | GPG: 17A4 11F7 5E7E C2E7 08AA