FTP Probes from Taiwan/China

Gordon Ewasiuk gewasiuk at gnmc.net
Sun Sep 9 19:35:14 UTC 2001

On Today, mike harrison wrote:
>> > Has anyone seen a dramatic increase in FTP probes/scans/bad stuff from
>> > certain IP blocks in Taiwan or China?  Specifically, 211/8, 61/8, and
>> > 202/7.  I'm logging over 7500 probes/hr right now.  Is there a new
>> > exploit out or something?
>> >
>> > Another network just surfaced:  210.82/15
>
>I am getting lots of port 80'ish scans from those IP ranges.
>and a few port 139, but I have not seen a port 21 (FTP) scan from anyone
>in the last 30 minutes... while monitoring a /19 and a /20 locally.

Apprec. the info.  Probes are falling off now.  25k in the last 6hrs
 (as of 1500hrs EST).

Not much in the grand scheme of things but more then I like.  A couple of
servers at this facility are being targeted - no sooner had I ACL'ed
one block when probes from a new block to the same targets surfaced.  In
any event, the target servers are offline pending a close inspection.

Thanks to all that responded,

-Gordon

Gordon Ewasiuk, Certifed Sun Fanatic,  Winstar VHC
The REAL office number is here----->  703.893.4901
Tired of BSODs, My Computer, and Code Red?
http://www.sun.com/solaris/binaries/