Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Sun Sep 9 18:57:32 UTC 2001

At 02:30 PM 9/9/01, woody weaver wrote:

>I'm not sure who was first, in terms of IOS NAT and ip_masq.  If memory
>serves (and it usually doesn't) then 11.2 was released around Aug 97.  I
>don't see any easy way to identify the release date.
>
>However, I think the linux code is older, although of course its largely
>based upon the BSD firewall code.

Proteon was shipping NAT (NAPT) in routers in 1994 or there abouts, well
before Cisco. It was popular on the small GT60 router, especially in
southeast asia, where ISPs wouldn't give out anything other than single
addresses, and at the time getting a dedicated link was nearly impossible.
NAT (NAPT) allowed them to connect up small offices.

Of course Proteon neglected to tell the world about this or most other
features. Marketing really does matter...

Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com