end2end? (was: RE: Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ... )

Jon Mansey jon_mansey at verestar.com
Fri Sep 7 19:44:21 UTC 2001

At 12:31 PM -0700 9/7/01, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> [...]

NM, along with IPsec are examples of apps that dont play well here,
but thats the point, they are apps that have not been written with
the real world in mind, ie that a good proportion of the edge these
days is behind NAT.

Who gives in first here, the app developers (or their marketing
depts) who decide that supporting NAT is important, or the NAT
developers who decide they can fix cuseeme or PPTP by re-writing the
packet data?

I am also playing devil's advocate here somewhat, we all know the
real solution to lack of IPv4 space, true end2end, and security lies
with IPv6, right?

jm