Where NAT disenfranchises the end-user ...

Roeland Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Fri Sep 7 18:04:04 UTC 2001

Since when, is an app supposed to care what's in the middle? Even firewalls
are supported by middle-ware. NAT boundaries aren't. That's because NAT
boundaries are unpredictable in both presence and character. As the man
said, there is no NATpd so the end-points have to do all the work. Note
that, it is the *only* boundary method where this is so. This is the
fundimental reason that NAT is architectural fubar.

|> All the previous times this discussion has arisen here, I have
|> concluded that "real" IPs should only be owned and used by
|> folks with clue, everyone else gets a NATed IP. Discuss.

I sincerely hope that you are not telling your customers that they have full
internet access. Also, is a quiz required to be a customer of yours? Is it a
standardized test? Most customers, given such an opportunity, will find
another ISP. They don't know, they don't want to know, and they will find
someone that won't make them know.